- Denoting attitudes, activities, or other things that have no religious or spiritual basis; not subject or bound by religious rule.
- Not having any connection with religion.
- Characteristic of, or devoted to, the temporal world as opposed to the spiritual world.
- Of, or relating to, worldly things or to things that are not regarded as religious, spiritual, or sacred.
- The principle of separation of the state from religious institutions.
- Opposition to discrimination practiced against others in the name of religion.
- The view that public education and other matters of civil policy should be conducted without the introduction of a religious element.
- Of, relating to, or characterized by progress.
- Making use of, or interested in, new ideas, findings, or opportunities.
- Favoring or promoting change or innovation.
- A group, person, or idea favoring or implementing social reform or new, liberal ideas.